Is It Safe to Drink from a Copper Vessel?
Drinking water stored in a copper vessel may sound like an odd thing to do, but it actually has transformative and therapeutic benefits. It is highly revered by health experts and its benefits continue to be unravelled by the scientific community. These studies highlight the positive effects of copper on our bodies – proving its anti-bacterial effect of completely killing bacteria in our drinking water.
This is not a new practice, either. Using a copper vessel, or Tamra jal in Sanskrit to store and drink water has been a traditional Ayurvedic practice in most Asian countries. Ancient healers have understood the role of copper in supporting and maintaining good health. Ancient Egyptians would use copper to sterilize their drinking water, cure headaches, and help with skin conditions. Ancient Aztecs also used copper to treat sore throats and infections.
With the benefits of copper resurfacing, this ancient practice is quickly becoming more common around the world.
WHAT IS COPPER-ENRICHED WATER?
Copper is an essential trace mineral for the body. It has anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. However, our bodies cannot synthesize copper so we need to supplement through other sources.
According to Ayurveda, drinking water that has been enriched with copper in the morning is an excellent routine to balance the three doshas (vata, pitta and kapha). When water is stored in a copper vessel, copper gently dissolves into the water in very small quantities and gives the water positively-charged, anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory health properties.
It is a safe and simple practice, too. All you have to do is store filtered water in your vessel or tumbler overnight and drink it in the morning. The water does not become stale, so it can be stored for longer periods of time.
Even though our drinking water is treated by basic filtration systems before it reaches your faucet, these systems destroy water’s vital life energy and drastically alter its pH. But by the time your drinking water has been treated and transported to you, it has lost much of its natural ionizing and cleansing properties. Drinking from a copper vessel, however, recharges water by ionizing, energizing and balancing its pH for greater cellular absorption. This is an especially important step for those of us living in cities with less than optimal municipal water.
BUT IS IT SAFE TO DRINK?
Drinking water from a copper cup or vessel is completely safe, so there is no need to be concerned about the amount of copper dissolving into your water. The scientific community has revealed that the safety of leached copper does not appear to be an issue since the levels of copper absorbed by the body are well within the permissible limits identified by the World Health Organization. Even after being stored in the copper vessel for a few days, the levels of copper in water remain well under the limit.
These studies ultimately support what Ayurvedic medicine has been teaching and practicing for centuries: that drinking water stored in a copper vessel is a safe and beneficial practice – even when added to other normal dietary sources of copper (i.e. nuts, legumes, leafy greens).
Having said that, despite its numerous health benefits, you should not drink copper-enriched water all day long. Drinking water stored in the copper vessel once in the early morning and once in the evening is more than enough to get the required amount of copper for your body.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF COPPER?
- Sterilizes Bacteria: Copper is oligodynamic in nature, meaning it sterilizes and neutralizes toxins and bacteria on contact. It is especially effective against E.coli and S.aureus, two common types of bacteria that are known to cause severe illnesses in humans.
- Promotes Digestion: Copper helps to cleanse and detox the stomach, allowing the stomach to effectively properly absorb nutrients and eliminate waste.
- Regulates Organ Functioning: Copper also regulates liver and kidney functioning.
- Supports Weight Loss: Copper promotes the breakdown and elimination of fat cells.
- Produces Melanin: Melanin defines the colour of your eyes, hair and skin. Copper is the main component in the production of melanin.
- Prevents Aging: Copper is loaded with anti-oxidants, aids the production of new skin cells, and fights free radicals that contribute to the appearance of aging.
- Balances pH Levels: Copper naturally alkalinizes water, helping to balance your pH levels.
- Fights Cancer: Copper has anti-oxidant properties that effectively fight free radicals, therefore warding off cancer.
- Aids the Absorption of Iron: Copper is an essential supplement for those with anemia.
- Regulates the Thyroid Gland: Copper regulates the functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Strengthens the Immune System: Copper has bone and immune-building properties, particularly healing for those with arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Conducts Spiritual Energy: Copper is a conductor and has the ability to amplify your thoughts and connection to the psychic realm.
HOW DO YOU MAKE COPPER-ENRICHED WATER?
Before storing and consuming your copper-enriched water, it is important to make sure that the copper vessel you are using is of good quality. Make sure the supplier is an authentic Ayurveda copper seller and has good rapport amongst the Ayurvedic community (check out my favourites below). Once you have purchased a good quality vessel, rinse it thoroughly with a natural acidic solution, such as lemon and water, especially before your first use. Do not use a scrub as it can scrape away the copper from the walls of the vessels. It is also recommended that you store water overnight for at least 16 hours.
- Clean your vessel with half a lemon and rinse (repeat every 2 days or so).
- Fill the vessel with fresh filtered water every evening and let the copper infuse into the water overnight.
- Store your vessel on your altar or other clean, sacred space in your home. You could also place it under the moonlight when there is a full moon, allowing it to become supercharged.
- Drink the water in the morning on an empty stomach.
I love having my copper water as part of my morning routine. Because of its conductive properties, my daily routine consists of sipping this water while I meditate or do yoga. Copper has the ability to amplify our psychic abilities, and because of its grounding frequencies, opens and clears the root and sacral chakras. In energy medicine, it is used to dissolve negative thoughts, enhance psychic communication, and stimulate spiritual development.
Drink two to three glasses of water from the copper vessel daily to reap its benefits. Two cups of copper water per day is plenty for me. Like anything else, an excessive amount is not well-received by our bodies. Balance is key. Start with one or two cups for a few months and work your way up.